Many factors may combine to lead to a suicidal crisis, including:
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- There were 42,773 reported suicide deaths in 2014. That's more people than Fenway park holds.
- One person dies by suicide every 12 minutes.
- It is estimated that almost 1,065,000 people attempt suicide every year.
- Guns are the leading means of suicide death in the US.
- Men die by suicide 3 to 4 times more often than women.
- Women attempt suicide 3 times more often than men.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth ages 15-24.
- In Massachusetts people die by suicide 3-4 times more often than by homicide.
- For every suicide death, it is estimated that there are at least 25 survivors.
Source: American Association of Suicidology
Confidential Crisis Help Line:
1-866-912-HOPE (toll free)
Samaritans Statewide Help Line:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: